I first attempted to publish articles in various gun magazines back in the early 2000’s and quickly found that getting started as an unknown freelance was nearly impossible. Here is how I managed to get in anyway.

I had visited Dean Speir’s The Gun Zone website and found an interesting article about the gunzine game:

Behind the gunzine curtain… “Cherry-Picked” T&E Samples? HAH!

http://www.thegunzone.com/gunwriter.html

 

Frustrated with my experience I contacted Mr. Speir asking for advice. My letter and his response became Part 2 in this series.

Breaking into the Gunzines
The Formerly Famous Gunwriter shares some hard-won “wisdom.”

http://www.thegunzone.com/gunwriter2.html

My comments are in quotations.

“About a year ago I got the bug to become a ‘gun writer.'”

Aw, Jeez… ya shoulda called me… Charlie Petty and I would’ve shown up and drank with you ’til the urge passed.

“Being a realist I had no intention of ever being able to do this full time. I just wanted to have some of my ideas see the light of print.

Judging from what I read in the popular gun/hunting press I felt my experience was at least equal to some of the regular contributors.”

Probably is… matter of fact, I’d bet on it.

“I managed to reach master-level ratings from two national shooting organizations, earn a slot with the Small Arms Readiness Group as an instructor, providing small arms instruction to military instructors and working with the USAR competitive shooting teams, and started a fledgling shooting program for big game hunters, organizing shooting events using targets of my invention.

After about a decade of this type of activity I started to develop a few ideas of my own that I wanted to publish. I read about a half dozen books on freelance magazine writing, studied photography, worked on my prose, organized my thoughts into properly structured queries and sent them off.”

Yup, that’s the way to do it in the magazine publishing business… of course, this doesn’t really relate to the gunzine business at all.

“Not wanting to appear pushy, I didn’t put a respond by date in the queries. While I waited I kept writing and now have about 50 magazine-length articles ready to submit. On the first go-around 25 percent of the editors queried rejected, the other 75 percent didn’t even respond after a couple months of waiting.”

In my entire gunzine career, I only worked with three (3!) genuine honest-by-Gawd Editors: the late John Leming at Gun & Shooter, Harold Murtz at DBI Books and Jerry Lee, first at Guns, later at Petersen’s. (And I just missed working with the delightful and thoroughly professional Jerry Rakusan before he retired1 from FMG/PDC… he not only acknowledged both writer’s queries I sent him, but responded thoughtfully and encouragingly.) The others were, for the most part, big-egos-in-a-small-pool maniacs, or poor schlubs who were totally out of their depth. Some were humps from the jump, and others were pretty good sorts, but they just didn’t know the way the game was supposed to be played in the real publishing world.

In fairness, however, they all had their own realities… like keeping bread on their tables, or keeping the advertising sales people at bay, etc., or, in the case of Joe Tartaro at The New Gun Week, doing battle with “gun grabbers.” (This has always been Joe’s passion, and he never expended any energy on writer hand-holding… hey!, it’s no secret that most writers are big babies at heart!)

“In an attempt to demonstrate that I’m a serious, dependable contributor I decided to send each editor a new query for a different article every two weeks whether I had a response about the previous query or not. I also included a respond-by date, giving the editor six to eight weeks to respond before sending the query to a different publication. The results again were the same; roughly 25 percent of the editors rejected, the other 75 percent didn’t even answer.”

You do know what the classic definition of “insanity” is, don’t you? It’s repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result.

“It’s been about a year since I mailed my first query. I accept that rejection is part of the game but other than one solid maybe I have yet to sell a single manuscript. What’s most frustrating is that my queries are being rejected or ignored. My manuscripts haven’t even had the chance to be rejected.”

Kinda pisses ya off, doesn’t it?!

At World Shoot VI back in ’83, Ken Hackathorn said, “A writer, huh? You should be writing for the gun press… Gawd knows they desperately need fresh blood.”

What he never told me was that the “gun press” was a closed shop! It took me almost four years to sell my first article (for $75 to a low-rent operation in Ocala, Florida headed up by one “Chief Merion Riley-Foss.” I spent that much in ‘phone calls getting the bastid to pay me! I later found out from Phat Phil Engeldrum that he was an old goniff from New York named Myron Fass2 who always wanted to be a police chief, so he gave himself that title, and afraid that a Jew wouldn’t make it in that part of the South, he altered his name to pass as Oirish.)

It was another 18 months before I got my #10½ gunboat in the door at Harris Publications… not by ‘phone or by mail, but by physically showing up, unannounced, with two articles and accompanying photos. The Editor bought my work four days later, sent me a check within a week, and then gave me an actual-by-Gawd assignment. (One of those first articles was published, but the other one never was.)

It was his publisher, Stanley Harris, who said: “Articles? Aren’t they what we try to squeeze in between the advertising?”

“Are my ideas so god-awful? Is my writing that bad? Is my submission strategy off base? What am I doing wrong?”

You can start with “trying to break into the gunzine game,” which real deal author Michael Bane once referred to as the “ghetto of freelance writing.”

“It would be very helpful to have a ‘formerly famous gunwriter’ like yourself to critique me. If you are willing to look at them I’d be happy to E-mail you some of my queries and articles for your review.”

Here’s the deal… you’re going at this incorrectly. Few gunzines will buy articles which are non-product-oriented. They need to sell advertising. You sound like you’re trying to sell ideas. (If so, you’d be better off trying The Accurate Rifle, by Precision Shooting out of the late, much lamented Tactical Shooter, or Wolfe Publications: Rifle and Handloader.)

The good news is that, from what I’ve seen in this E-mail and on the newsgroup, you can write and you’re not a keyboard slob.

So send me a sample list of your articles… and one random completed feature. If the writing sucks, I’ll tell you so, and why. But even if you’re not such a terrific writer, that shouldn’t be a bar to getting published in the gunzines.

I’m betting that it’s your subject material… it’s either so “out there “to most of those you are querying, or it’s a dreadful re-hash of what they are already over-stocked with… even so, the latter shouldn’t necessarily disqualify you.

Advertisements